Thursday, October 15, 2015

Steady… Steady this heart.


A couple weeks ago, I went to a missionary conference where I spent a whole week with a group of about 100 people, most of whom had spent a good amount of time as missionaries overseas.

In a way, I felt like I was on a trip back in time.  Somehow, just looking at the people I was with and hearing them talk, made me think of the age of Bible Crusades and tent meetings- the era when the gospel was given a bit more up-front and in-your-face. Most people were double my age and the bearers of that era. It was a good dose of Brethren culture with a few jokes here and there about how Brethren don’t like change and a few gentle reminders not to judge others who do things differently.

To me, who had just come out of four years of university-age Christian conferences filled with youthful passion, latest technology, and cutting edge evangelism, this felt a little old-fashioned. I laughingly mentioned this to Erin and she said, “I don’t really think it’s old-fashioned. I think of it more as steady.”

Steady. That is a word my generation hardly thinks of and rarely aspires to. In my mind it is right in the category of characteristics deemed outdated or boring by today’s culture- words like prudent, modest, wise, chivalrous, and submissive. Steady fits right in.

But should it be outdated?

 “Steady” stayed with me all week and I began to look at the people around me through that lens- the lens that denotes commitment and unwavering faith- and I began to see beautiful things.

I saw humanity and weakness. We struggled through seminars on stress management and how to deal with the weight of hurting people and a sick world. We grappled with the concept of forgiveness and what that looks like in conflicts with co-workers. We even had a workshop on remembering to serve with love. Why, when these things are so very basic? Because we are so very human.

Yet in strange combination with this, I saw strength, steadiness. I met a woman who looked like she had stepped out of one of my mom’s photographs from the 80’s with a heart of pure gold and a smile that shone pure joy; an Egyptian working in a Bible society for 30 years- facing his stores being burned and his people being persecuted; and his wife who spent 25 years working in a garbage village and watching its people be transformed by Christ’s love. I met a girl a couple of years older than myself whose heart’s desire is to spend the rest of her life serving India’s urban poor, and I heard the stories of hurting missionaries who are facing sickness and pain like so many copies of Job. I met countless people who have been on the mission field longer than I have been alive, and a precious few who have served double my lifetime.

That’s His grace- combining weakness with strength in an unlikely mixture. 

Old-fashioned? Yes, probably- at least in many people’s eyes. But old does not mean bad. I am far from steady, yet if I can get to age 60 or 70 and have a heart similar to some of the ones I met, I suppose I can stand being a bit old-fashioned.

So, steady now…. In spite of myself…Steady this heart. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this blog made me so happy for several reasons. In a world where my peers seem to be abandoning the "steady" attitude for secular values, it sometimes makes me feel isolated for being "old fashioned", so it's refreshing to hear you rediscovering beauty in it.

    Also, I can't help but wonder if the Egyptian couple you're referring to are the Atallahs? They're from my church in Montreal! Tell me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm going to follow your blog. And if you have more regular updates that you send out, you should add my email address to your mailing list. I'd love to be praying for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, sorry I didn't see your comment until now! It's great getting feedback from people. And, I don't remember for sure, but that last name does sound familiar. Does that couple serve with MSC? It would be great to add you my updates if you would still be interested. How would you like to send me your email?

    ReplyDelete